BIG NEWS IN SLOVAKIA
A BROAD PUBLISHING AND ONLINE PORTFOLIO
FOR BREAKFAST – SLOVAKIA’S LEADING QUALITY DAILY NEWSPAPER.
MÁM AUTÁ, MÁM DOMY – I NEED A CAR, I NEED A NEW HOME: AVIZO HAS THE ANSWER…
OUR WEBSITES AND NEWSPAPERS REACH 35% OF THE WHOLE POPULATION OF SLOVAKIA EVERY WEEK.
A little more than two-and-a-half years ago, DMGT had no footprint in Slovakia. Now, it is one of the top two publishers, based on circulation. £22 million has been invested since 2004.
The remarkable rise of the Slovakian operation began on 1st January, 2004, with the acquisition of 60% of Avizo, the leading daily classified newspaper in Slovakia. A staff of just 22 generate revenue of £1.5 million. Five months later, the remaining 40% share was bought.
On 1st January, 2005, City Express was acquired, including two fortnightly titles. Auto Burza (a motors classified product) and Burza Nehnutel’nosti (property paper). Employees numbered 20, and the three titles were producing revenue of £0.6 million.
By last year, the combined Slovakian staff had risen to almost 100, with revenue of £3 million, and more acquisitions were on the way. In November 2005, profesia.sk, a job website, was acquired. The founder – Dalibor Jakus – remains, heading a fast growing business. The website has 89% brand recognition and a 26% market share of all Slovakia’s digital resources: indeed, half of all money spent on jobs advertising in the market, regardless of media, goes to profesia. The business model for profesia.sk is being exported to Hungary.
And in August 2006, Pravda, Slovakia’s leading quality daily newspaper, and the second best selling title in the country, was acquired. Its daily circulation is 78,000 copies.